Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween, Ruts and Bellies


The past couple of weeks have been extremely busy. Hopefully, my efforts come to fruition and I’ll write about what I’ve been up to when they do. Can you guess?

Wheat belly
I have been 75/25 for the past 2 weeks and haven’t been working out as much as I should be. Just walks with Gizmo. I haven’t gained any weight, but I don’t look as great as I did in late summer.
My family ate at Texas Road House for my brother’s birthday. If you know anything about their sweet rolls, you know it’s nearly impossible to resist – so I didn’t. It’s amazing how one sweet roll can give you a bloated belly that looks like you’ve gained about 5lbs (when you haven’t). Thankfully, that got out of my system and the stomach is flat once more. 

In a rut
Once again on the carb roller-coaster – I need to find more indulgences that don’t involve high carb loads. Any new recipes? I do love Paleo Pudding, but it would be nice to try something else that is easy to throw together and tastes fantastic.

Recently, I made a Fig Tart in a Hazelnut Crust from Mark’sDaily Apple Contest. It was time consuming to make, but delicious on day 1 and the fridge killed the any flavor it had on day 2. Definitely one of those eat fresh for a special occasion desserts. 


Halloween
I do love Halloween. Watching the scary movies on tv, enjoying spiced cider, and creating fun costume ideas. Last year I was Kim Kardashian and my date was Justin Bieber – that wouldn’t apply much this year. For Halloween this year, I’ll spend it siddin’ some cider and watching scary movies (we don’t get trick-or-treaters in our key entry building). 

Mark will be working. Friends aren’t having a party since it happens to fall on a Monday this year, we all have the joy of working the next day. Plus we live in a college town, which means if you want to see some weirdos, drunk guys or scantily clad “ladies” they will be everywhere – and I mean everywhere. My couch is more enticing. 

Can't wait for the years when I will be dressing up my little ones to take around the neighborhood, only to trade in the majority of their finds for something more Paleo (maple roasted pecans, dark chocolate, etc) - aka healthier.

How will you spend your Halloween?

Krista