Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Celebrating the Holidays

This year I found a fantastic recipe in Cooking Light Magazine for Almond Cookies. They have 6 ingredients and are so simple and delicious! See for yourself:

Ingredients
  • 2 cups blanched almonds (save 24 blanched almonds)
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 4 tsp lemon rind
  • 1 egg
  • Dash of salt
  • Cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 325. In a food processor pulse the blanched almonds until finely ground. Add the sugar, lemon rind, egg and salt and mix until dough forms a ball in the processor. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and shape the dough into 1" balls. Sprinkle cinnamon over all of the almond balls evenly and then press a blanched almond into the top (see picture). Bake for 16 minutes and then let cool on wire racks.

These had the most amazing texture and the lemon, cinnamon and almond combined were just plain tasty. Perfect with tea or coffee.

I saved money at the store by purchasing regular almonds and blanching them myself. This process took an hour, but it was worth it and I didn't mind with Christmas movies playing, the fire place roaring and my Christmas tree glowing. Oh wait, it's almost Thanksgiving?! Oh well! I'm losing a week out of my favorite time of year in Mexico so I'm rejoicing early.

My family will be enjoying these Paleo/Primal friendly treats this year.

Happy Christmas Thanksgiving readers!

Krista